Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Rose Hancock wants it but Apple don’t make it…What Am I?




Anyone?

No?

Ha Ha Ha! My genius prevails!


Okay, so what is not made by Apple and had Rose Hancock screaming “No! They’re mine, I dropped them! ALL MINE MUAHAHAHAHA!”*

Answer: NANODIAMONDS!

Get it?!

I thought that was quite witty….

No?

Fine. That’s just fine! Oh don’t worry, I’m not bitter and twisted about it or anything!

Ahem.

Anyway, I’m a bit behind the band wagon on this story, but I thought I’d have a bit of a rant on about it regardless. So Nanodiamonds, what the?

Okay well, way back in prehistory climatic oscillations occurred on earth, essentially there were intermittent periods of global warming and cooling. Just after the earth was exiting a major cold snap “something” happened [insert dramatic music here].

This “something” is said to have triggered a major refreeze of the global climate.
Archaeologists in America have found a layer of small crystallisations a.k.a. Nanodiamonds that date to the period in which global cooling started to occur.

It has been argued that these nanodiamonds support the theory that the earth was disrupted by “some sort of cosmic impact”.



A swarm of meteorites or comet fragments…would have generated the elevated
temperatures and pressures needed to form diamonds
.”


However, there are those who disagree – why? Stacking Faults!
Stacking faults occur in previously documented Nanodiamond samples, however these tiny details are not present in the recent finds. The diamonds also occur in carbon sphericals – such a context has never been documented. Given such facts, it can’t be positively concluded that the diamonds are evidence of cosmic impact.

I like this story because I have a feeling it is going to turn into one of those in depth archaeological clusterfucks which instigate fist fights at conferences. Ahhh, good times.


*okay, maybe good old Rosie wouldn’t say that exactly….maybe just the last bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh! A Comment?! I Love Comments!