Saturday, November 15, 2008

'Death = Weird' Revisited

Recently I published a blog titled ‘Death=Weird’ in which I, perhaps a little to intensely, ranted about my aversion of the article title ‘Top Ten Weird Ways to Deal with the Dead’.
First of all, On Being Unexceptional is just a place for me to get the crazy talk out of my system so my head doesn’t explode. Given that I was particularly surprised to see that someone, and let’s be honest, other than close friends and family, actually made a reference to my blog!
Just to refresh your memories, I argued that using the word “weird” to refer to mortuary practices of different cultures across the world wasn’t exactly appropriate (In my opinion anyway).

A blog which featured on Remote Central does however raise some interesting points about the ‘Top Ten’ article. In the 'Dead=Weird' blog, I stated that:

To call the article Top 10 WEIRD ways to deal with the dead, implies blatant disrespect for practices of non-western communities. In this day and age, you’d think we’d all be able to respect the beliefs and values of other cultures!”

In retrospect, I think blogging and six cups of coffee really don’t mix. Anyway, Remote Central responded to my caffeinated rant with:

“It might be argued that it is precisely this modern day and age which has done more to destroy, eradicate and oppress the beliefs and values of other cultures…”

In some ways I agree, but I believe it’s important to remember how academia has developed in regard to the interpretations of other cultures. While we do have the big black “Darwinism” and “Cultural Evolutionism” clouds hovering over us, many have tried to examine cultures within their own context, rather than providing another stereotypical account of the ‘exotic’ and ‘primitive’, which was the dominant theme presented in past research.

The author also noted that the title itself was a commercial ploy to grab the attention of the reader. I agree with this wholeheartedly. I would also like to reiterate that it is precisely this kind of commercial ploy that is supporting the parochial mind-set of modern society.

Despite the fact that I felt like a bit of a twit after reading the Remote Central blog, I do stick by my original argument. I feel that using ‘weird’ to elements of different cultures leads to alienation and misconceptions. And yes, I guess I was being a little too pro-extreme-political-correctness, but everyone is entitled to an opinion I say, and this one just happens to be mine.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I don't think you were overly ranting at all. It wouldn't have been so bad if the original article hadn't included current customs as well, and had included more, um, content, but it was principally a point and laugh freakshow. Aren't foreigners funny?

    I went to a lecture a couple of years back about mortuary practices in the US, discussing whether cryogenics, resistance to cremation and open casket burials (with the deceased made up to look not so dead) are part of an attempt to deny the reality of death. But maybe that was cultural prejudice as well.

    Anyway, I'll be following your blog through an RSS feed, but probably won't come to the site often because you use white text on black. Ow.

    All the best,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jordan - thanks for mentioning my post. On the one hand modern society has destroyed a great deal of culture, but I do agree with your opinion that we are at least aware of some of the ways in which we could do a much better job in the way we portray ideas and customs that at first seem alien, but upon closer examination merely reflect a different perspective of our take on reality. Simply poking fun at seemingly odd ideas of other peiple is just being lazy, and imo, serves no purpose than to fill empty space on a news or features page. In my post I was thinking aloud, rather than trying to be directly critical of yours, which I thought was pretty well spot on, hence my referral to it. And btw, thanks for following my blog, all the best, Tim.

    ReplyDelete

Oh! A Comment?! I Love Comments!